Friday, June 19, 2009

Missional Living Series Week1: The Resurrection

Here's a link to the sermon that we listened to on Thursday June 18th:

Here are a few key points that we went over in our study:

The Ministry of Reconciliation is: the corporate and collective activities of the Church to engage a world in all facets that is separated from the God who created and sustains it.

The Message of Reconciliation is: the personal message of the gospel as seen in an individual's life and expressed to people who are separated from the God who loves them.

The Mission of Reconciliation is: the mission of God to restore man and creation to right relationship with Himself. He has called us by the resurrection of Christ, having been made new by His victory over sin and death to participate in this mission.

Through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, we have been reconciled to God. He has removed our sin and shame and given us the message of reconciliation, the message of hope that should take root in every area of our lives. This means that we are to look at each aspect of life, our own hearts and minds, our relationships, our work, our time, etc.; through the lens of the gospel of reconciliation.

Passages for study: 1 Corinthians 15:1-58 and 2 Corinthians 5:14-21

1 comment:

paul said...

Scott, I really appreciated the study this week. I was convicted of not being very loving of my co-workers at work. I generally just sit in my office and get my work done, using my "spare time" to read up on some of these "missional" topics on the 'net. The irony is that I have been reading about missional rather then going to talk with my co-workers and actually try to be on mission.

One point I would make with regard to your summary: You describe the message of reconciliation as the personal message of the gospel as seen in an individual's life. It seems to me from 2 Cor 5 that the message of reconciliation is that God is reconciling the world to himself in Christ, and we are Christ's ambassadors. While the message and messengers are not less than individuals, it is also a message for a plural you ("y'all" or "you's guys") from "us"--the redeemed community, the church. I'm not sure how that works out when we are all scattered to our various workplaces and such, but it is something to keep in mind.