Monday, May 18, 2009

Reading Round-Up

Cassie posted some reflections after she, Chris, and Jason got back from their first preliminary trip to San Jose to lay some groundwork for Downtown Synergy. The best is yet to come!

Scot McKnight shares some thoughts on worship.

Pray for our brothers and sisters: “Christians in the Palestinian territories are a minority within a minority. Israeli Jews view them as enemies because they are Palestinians. Muslims view them as different because they are of another faith.”

This quote really hit me in the gut last week: “Most people who say they oppose abortion do just enough to salve the conscience but not enough to stop the killing.”

I recently was thinking that there is a blog I wish I linked to more often but I don’t have a particular post that I want to single out, so I am just going to go ahead and link the whole thing: Beauty and Depravity. This is the blog of Eugene Cho, pastor of Quest Church in Seattle. Go read it. Now. It’s that good.

Here is an interesting study on the Top 25 multiplying churches in America. The criteria used includes but is not limited to (1) the total number of church plants over the life of the church, (2) the average number of churches planted each year, (3) dollars and percentage of budget dedicated to church planting, and (4) the number of daughter churches that have planted a new church.

And ending on a light note . . .

Dog yoga? Yes indeed: Stuff White People Like reflects on an article in the New York Times: “White people like to make the most of their free time, but many of them discovered that time doing yoga was time away from their dog and time with their dog was time away from yoga. It was becoming a fairly significant problem. Thankfully, Doga has been created to allow white people to combine two of their favorite things into one expensive, time consuming activity called Doga or dog yoga.”

While we’re at it, Stuff White People Like also has a funny post on Moleskine Notebooks. (I hear good things about these . . . has anybody used one?)

1 comment:

Cassie T. said...

Oh yes, I have to say that as a white person I have coveted a moleskine notebook...but I also had (have?) aspirations of being a writer, so that was my excuse. But everything else they say is true, excluding the parts about suicide and heroin.