Friday, January 30, 2009

Questions For Self-Reflection And Evaluation

I recently started reading Richard Foster’s Celebration of Discipline. In it, Foster issues a call for depth over against superficiality. He says: “The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people.”

I was really struck by this statement, and it occurred to me that one of the great obstacles to depth is never taking time for self-reflection and honest evaluation before God.

When I was serving as an RA at Calvary, I drafted a set of questions for daily evaluation and posted them on a cork board that came with the dormitory computer desk. Whenever I sat down at my computer (which was an awful lot!), I saw those questions.

When I came back to Denver last year, I didn’t have anywhere very good in my room to post the questions (my computer desk at home is a card table) and eventually forgot about them.

I came across them again today while working on a project for CEF. It was a timely reminder from God about one way I can pursue the “depth” that Richard Foster talks about. Here they are, re-written a bit to reflect my current context:

1. What have I done today to develop intimacy with the text of Holy Scripture? Did I seek to listen to what God was saying? What have I done differently today as a result? How is my life different?

2. Have I practiced having a glad and sincere heart today? Have I said any prayers of thanksgiving?

3. Did I set aside time today to intercede in prayer for BVC Regeneration, the CEF staff, this year’s summer missionaries, my financial supporters, or my prayer team?

4. Have I helped someone today? Did I seek opportunities to help someone?

5. Have I spoken any words of affirmation to someone today?

6. What have I done today to make disciples? Is there a Paul, a Barnabas and a Timothy in my life? What am I doing this week to get outside of my Christian bubble?

7. Has my stewardship today been characterized by simplicity and generosity, or by consumerism?

8. What has been the depth and direction of my thought life today?

9. Have I engaged fully today? Alternately, have I taken time for Sabbath rest? Did I give myself margin in my schedule?

10. There is a difference between activity and accomplishment. Which of these characterized my work today?

11. Have I been at all lazy or slothful today? Have I entertained any flirtatious or lustful thoughts or attitudes? Is there anything I need to repent of?

12. Are there any conflicts I need to address or relationships I need to mend?

13. Have I done something today to exercise my intellect and develop my mind?

14. Did I exercise today? What did I eat and drink?

I found reading through these again today to be personally quite helpful, and I hope they can be of help to the community.

What do you think? If you had to draft something similar, what would your questions look like?

3 comments:

Chris Tenny said...

Nice to see someone else talking about Foster besides me. His explanation of legalism is is very helpful in that book. So much I can still learn from.

I have not really drafted reflection questions for myself but I suppose I have a few I am constantly thinking about.

1) Am I learning from Scripture
2) Am I practicing it
3) Am I integrating it in my WHOLE life
4) Did I relate to others in a meaningful way

paul said...

That's a great list, Andrew! Here are a few that I've thought of for myself:

- Have I loved the Lord with all my heart, souls, mind, and strength?
- Have I loved my neighbor as myself?
- Of what attitudes or actions do I need to repent?
- Am I trusting in Christ for all my righteousness?
- In what ways is self-righteousness creeping into my life?
- How have I loved and honored Holly today?
- Was I diligent at work and in my other responsibilities?

Andrew Murray said...

Chris, I really like your fourth question. I think that is a concept that is missing from my questions. But it is a good question to ask, because it can be hard to do (or at least easy to overlook).

I like your third question too. It is easy to fool ourselves into thinking we are being obedient to Scripture, when really there may be a whole area of our life that is as yet unexamined and unaffected.